We’re in the kitchen at Christmastime with pianist, composer, food lover, overall bmf, Kris Bowers! On this episode we make:
- Herb Roasted Chicken
- Israeli Cous Cous with lemon and rosemary
- Spiced hot chocolate
Let’s not forget a special guest appearance from AdiClaus and a musical performance from Kris and I to you!
You can check out more Kris Bowers at:
MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!!!
Sweet Potato French Fries
- Sweet potatoes cut into wedges (the smaller they are the quicker they cook)
- Garlic Powder
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line baking sheets with foil. Toss sweet potato with generous amounts of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and enough olive oil to lightly coat the potatoes. Spread them out evenly amongst the baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or more depending on the size of the pieces.
Salmon Sandwiches with a garlicky herb aioli
For the aioli:
- 1 egg yolk
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp water
- 2 cloves garlic made into a paste
- 1/2 cup canola oil and 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil combined
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh basil
- squeeze of lemon
Whisk together yolk, salt, and water in a medium sized bowl. Add garlic. Line a pot slightly bigger than the bowl with a towel so your whisking bowl stays put, or have someone hold the bowl. Slowly whisk in oil mixture. A squeeze bottle is ideal for this, if not a cup with a spout. Continue whisking while mixture emulsifies. If mixture breaks you can start over and pour in the previous mixture. Continue pouring oil and whisking until it reaches desired consistency. Season accordingly. If aioli is too thick, you can add water to thin it out. Add a tbsp full of thyme, a tbsp full of chopped basil, and fresh lemon juice.
For the salmon:
- 2 lbs salmon cut into fillets
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 6 challah buns (or your favorite kind of bun/roll)
- 3 plum tomatoes sliced
- 1 head Boston lettuce
- 3 roasted shallots (roasted with the sweet potato french fries)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. On baking sheets season fillets with salt, pepper, and a little olive oil. Bake salmon for 12-15 minutes until they are cooked through. 5 minutes before you take out the salmon toast the buns in the oven. Take everything out of the oven and construct your salmon sandwiches!
You can improvise:
- adding different fresh herbs to the aioli
- adding different herbs/spices to sweet potato fries like rosemary
- Dressing the sandwiches with your favorite toppings